Program Requirements and Application
The University of Pittsburgh's School of Education posts the general doctoral degree requirements on the School of Education website.
There are no specific prerequisites for this degree; however, interested students should see if they fulfill the admissions requirements below.
- Completed Online Application for Admission
- A non-refundable application fee of $50 (U.S.), by credit card, check or money order payable to ’University of Pittsburgh’
- Official transcripts from every institution previously attended, including the University of Pittsburgh if applicable, mailed to the School of Education Admissions and Enrollment Services, 5500 Posvar Hall, 230 South Bouquet Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15260
- A statement of career goals and degree objectives, two to three pages double-spaced in length (can be uploaded as part of the online application)
- Three letters of recommendation
- A resume or curriculum vita (can be uploaded as part of the online application)
- Scores from Graduate Record Examination (required for U.S. students, highly recommended for International students). The GRE institution code for the University of Pittsburgh is R2927; the department code for education is 3999
- A professional writing sample in the form of a previously completed term paper, master’s thesis, article, etc., that does not exceed 20 pages in length (can be uploaded as part of the online application)
Additional Requirements for International Students
- Completed International Graduate Student Supplemental Application form
Applicants who have completed the equivalent of a baccalaureate degree at an institution outside of the United States are required to provide the graduate admissions and enrollment office with official third-party evaluations of those academic credentials. These evaluations must be completed by an accredited organization. For your convenience, we have listed two organizations among many, which provide the evaluations below:
International Education Research Foundation, Inc.
Inez H. Sepmeyer, President
P.O. Box 66940
Los Angeles, California 90066
Phone (310) 390-6276
Fax (310) 397-7686
World Education Services, Inc.
Mariam Assefa, Executive Director
P.O. Box 745
Old Chelsea Station
New York, NY 10011
Phone (212) 966-6311
Fax (212) 966-6395
- Official score report from ETS for the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), with a minimum score of 550 on the written test, 213 on the computer-based test, or 80 on the internet-based test. This is required of all applicants whose native language is not English, and/or who have not completed an academic degree from a college or university in the United States where the method of instruction is English. The TOEFL Institution code for the University of Pittsburgh is 2927; the department code for education is 85
Application Deadline: January 1
School of Education Office of Admissions and Enrollment Management
5500 Wesley W. Posvar Hall
230 S. Bouquet St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
ONLINE (preferred): Inquiry Form
APPLICATION: Admissions Application
Curious about what it's like to be an LSAP student? CuriousCFind out about our PhD students by visiting their profile pages.